Tuesday, November 30, 2010

My husband is a forgeiner.


I got married about 2 months ago. So far marital bliss has been just that, blissful! I blog about my adventure into married land and you can follow our adventures here.

I wrote a post about our interracial marriage.
Talking about some of my thoughts and in sites at this point in our life together.

I just wanted to put it out there to a wider audience. Are any of you in an interracial marriage? Or married to people from other country?
How have you blended your cultures and traditions?
What road blocks have you met?

I am grew up in Northern California. Went to University in Utah. Lived in Ethiopia where I met my husband. Due to a unforeseen circumstance we ended up getting married in the US, where we are now living and working on the immigration process. After we were married a Lawyer in the LDS congregation I attend pretty much Told Adam & I he would need to immigrate if we ever wanted to visit my family again. 

Adam is an Ethiopian National. Who living in a town about 40 miles south of the capital. He studied Law in an Ethiopian University. Worked for a US company. where he met me. 
So here we are.

Are there others of you out there in a similar circumstance?

I would love to know more.

♥ Single Girl
Now known as
the MRS.

3 comments:

Marnie said...

Congratulations on your marriage. I wish you many years of love, good health, laughter and happines.

Marnie xo

● C E L I N A ● said...

thanks!

Lia said...

My father was born and raised in Greece and my mother here in New Orleans. So my family has always been a mix of two cultures. I think its great because I was exposed to two different parts of the world growing up and it shaped who I am as a person. The more you know, the better off you are right? So I got to know more about the world than most of my peers, and I think I developed more healthily than some of them (especially because I grew up in the south, where being open-minded and accepting of other cultures isn't as commonplace as it is in other parts of the USA).

Something I did struggle with as a kid was having a foreign sounding name and being made fun of at times for being "that greek girl". But as I got older I enjoyed being different and having a dad with an accent, i felt it made me cool :)

I don't have any advice to give from a relationship perspective. I don't know what obstacles you might face from that point of view. But from the point of view of your future children, I think it's a great thing. Just make sure to visit both sides of the family as often as possible...this is something that has been kind of lacking in my life and it can lead to a strange sense of loneliness at times, to feel as if you don't truly know some of your family, half a world away.

Good luck with everything :)