Almond milk can easily be found in a lot of grocery stores. Where I live it's expensive. A lot of people don't realize, it's very easy to make. All you need is a blender, sieve or nut milk bag, water and raw almonds.
I personally find it's best to soak your almonds the night before. Almonds are difficult to digest because of an enzyme-inhibiting substance in their brown coating. Soaking almonds overnight removes these toxic enzyme inhibitors so that the enzymes secreted during digestion can do their job. Also the gluten breaks down, so the digestion becomes much easier. Phytic acid, which inhibits the absorption of vital minerals, is also reduced. This helps our body get the benefit of vitality contained within them.
For those of you who don't like Almonds, you can make any kind of nut milk. This is also a nice change for those of you who like soy milk or rice milk.
Soak one cup of almonds in water over night. Rinse them the next day. In a blender add 2 - 3 cups filtered water and the almonds. Blend really well and strain. I always like adding a 1/2 tsp vanilla to the almond milk. This will last 3 days in your fridge.
You can also blend in a natural sweetener like coconut sugar or agave and add cinnamon or nutmeg or chocolate powder for a sweeter drink.
Health Benefits of Almond Milk
- Almond milk is rich in Vitamin E, a known antioxidant, and thus, is believed to good for those undergoing detoxification programs.
- Almond milk contains high levels of unsaturated fat and has been associated with lower risk of heart attack.
- Almond milk has been found to contain little to no saturated fat and no cholesterol, making it extremely good for those suffering from high cholesterol problem.
- Almond milk does not contain lactose. This makes it easily digestible and the perfect alternative for those suffering from lactose-intolerance.
- Owing to the absence of saturated fats and presence of unsaturated fats, almond milk can be said to be good for those trying to lose weight.
Nutritional Facts about Almond Milk
- Almond milk is rich in protein and omega fatty acids.
- Almonds milk does not contain cholesterol and saturated fats
- Almonds milk has high levels of vitamin E and unsaturated fats
- Almond milk contains minerals such as zinc, magnesium, potassium, calcium and iron.
- 8 oz (237ml) of almond milk contains 70 calories, 2gm protein, 10gm carbohydrates and 2.5 gm fat: 2.5g
- Almond milk has zero fiber.
All the best,