Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The Results: Homemade Toothpaste & Mouthwash

About a month ago, I decided to test out two recipes for homemade toothpaste and mouthwash. The recipes were very simple and could be made within minutes for just pennies. So I put them to the test. I have to be honest with you, I had my doubts on how effective these remedies would be. Let's face it, these are items that are instinctively purchased regardless if it's at the grocery or health food store.

Before I go any further...here are the recipes:

Toothpaste


The ingredients are Baking Soda, Coconut oil, Stevia and Peppermint oil.

1. Coconut oil: 3 Tablespoons
2. Baking Soda: 4 Tablespoons
3. Peppermint Oil: 20-25 drops
4. Stevia: 3 to 6 packets (I used 6)

Mix until blended and store in a container with a closed lid. You could also substitute the peppermint oil with Cinnamon oil, but I recommend adding a few drops at a time until you get the right flavor - it's strong.

Mouthwash


1. 500 ml Distilled water
2. 15 drops Tea Tree Oil
3. 15 drops Peppermint Oil

Shake in a glass bottle before each use.
Results
I used both the toothpaste and mouthwash twice a day along with dental floss (sorry, not going to cheap out on that item). The toothpaste took a little getting used to, as it doesn't foam. It also doesn't taste like traditional toothpaste. Once I got over that, I have to say that I really liked how it performed. My teeth are really clean. Now that it's been over a month, I have also noticed that my tooth sensitivity has almost completely gone away. My teeth are so sensitive, that I have had treatments at the Dentist for this problem along with religiously using a toothpaste designed for sensitivity...so it does make you wonder how this simple remedy can work so well.
The mouthwash is surprisingly strong and it works amazingly well. Only a little is needed. For pennies, it does the job just as well as the store brands.
Overall, I really like the results of both the toothpaste and mouthwash. As stated earlier, my tooth sensitivity has almost gone away so that is an added bonus. For now, I will continue to use these remedies.

For anyone interested in trying these remedies out, I encourage you to do so. It's not expensive to make, so it's worth a try. My experience was a positive one, so for that I'm happy.

All the best,

Marnie
http://www.whatsupwithred.blogspot.com/

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good fill someone in on and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you on your information.

Anonymous said...

Opulently I to but I think the list inform should secure more info then it has.

Anonymous said...

I really like when people are expressing their opinion and thought. So I like the way you are writing